Legal and privacy
Information obtained through cookies and Web beacons/tags may be transmitted either directly to us or to a third-party service provider (such as network advertisers) authorized to collect information on our behalf. This information is used to measure the number of visits, average time spent, page views, and other statistics about visitors to our website in general and may be used to provide tailored offerings or content to you, including Allianz advertisements when you visit other websites.
You may set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie or to prevent cookies from being sent. You can learn more about adjusting your cookie preferences under the Help option in your browser. Please note, however, that by not accepting cookies, you will limit the functionality we can provide you when you make subsequent visits to our site.
Personal information collection
- Providing you with the Allianz products or services you have requested
- Servicing your account
- Improving our services
- Informing you of additional Allianz Life of NY products or services that may be of interest to you
To provide these products and services, we may need to ask you directly to provide, among other things, your name, Social Security number, physical address, ZIP code, email address and phone number.
Please note that we do not knowingly solicit information from children and we do not knowingly market our products or services to children.
Sharing information and consumer choice
Any personal information you share with us through our website may be shared with our affiliates, financial professionals, and third parties as outlined in our Privacy Notice. As provided above, we may also collect and summarize statistics that we gather about our customers, sales, traffic patterns, and services and provide these statistics to third parties; however, when we do, these statistics will not include any personal information that identifies individuals.
Securing and protecting your information
We protect your information using safeguards that comply with applicable federal and state law. This includes measures that are administrative, physical, and technical in nature. We use commercially reasonable measures to secure our websites and protect the information that may be shared over these sites.
To contact us or correct your information
If you believe that an error has been made in the accuracy of the data collected from you, we will correct such error upon adequate verification of the error and the identity of the person seeking the correction. Please understand that in order to protect your privacy and security, we may also need to take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access or making corrections.
Allianz family of companies
- Allianz Life Insurance Company of North America
- Allianz Life Insurance Company of New York
- Allianz Financial Services, LLC
- Allianz Life and Annuity Company
Date of last revision:September 19, 2017
Welcome to the Allianz Life Insurance Company of New York (Allianz Life® of NY) consumer website.
1. Contents not intended for distribution or use where prohibited
The information provided on this website is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person or entity in any jurisdiction or country where such distribution or use would be contrary to law or regulation or which would subject the Company or its affiliates to any registration requirement within such jurisdiction or country. Neither the information, nor any opinion contained in this website constitutes a solicitation or offer by the Company or its affiliates to buy or sell any securities, futures, options or other financial instruments or provide any investment advice or service.
3. Notices of restrictions on your use
The Service, the website and all data and information and/or content that you see, hear or otherwise experience on the website (the "Content") belongs to the Company, its partners, affiliates, contributors or third parties and may be protected by U.S. and international copyright, trademark, intellectual property and other laws. Content provided by third-parties is used on the website with the permission of such third-parties.
You may download, print and store selected portions of the Content, provided that you (1) do not copy or post the Content on any network computer or transmit, distribute, publish or broadcast the Content in any media, including without limitation, a website; and (2) do not modify or alter the Content in any way, or delete or change any copyright or trademark notice. No right, title or interest in any copied or downloaded Content is transferred to you as a result of any such copying or downloading. The Company reserves complete title and full intellectual property rights in any Content you copy or download from this website.
4. Disclaimer of warranties
THE INFORMATION ON THIS WEBSITE IS PROVIDED "AS IS." YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE TO ASSUME TOTAL RESPONSIBILITY AND RISK FOR YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE AND THE SERVICE. THE COMPANY MAKES NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, REPRESENTATIONS OR ENDORSEMENTS WHATSOEVER WITH RESPECT TO THE WEBSITE OR THE SERVICE. THE COMPANY EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NONINFRINGEMENT, WITH REGARD TO THE WEBSITE, THE SERVICE, OR ANY INFORMATION OR CONTENT CONTAINED THEREIN (INCLUDING THIRD PARTY INFORMATION).
THE COMPANY SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE ARISING EITHER DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY FROM ANY USE OF THE WEBSITE, THE SERVICE OR ANY INFORMATION OR CONTENT CONTAINED THEREIN (INCLUDING THIRD PARTY INFORMATION). IT IS SOLELY YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO EVALUATE THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS AND USEFULNESS OF ALL INFORMATION OR CONTENT PROVIDED BY THE WEBSITE OR THE SERVICE.
THE COMPANY DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE FUNCTIONS PERFORMED BY THE WEBSITE OR THE SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR-FREE, OR THAT DEFECTS IN THE WEBSITE OR THE SERVICE WILL BE CORRECTED. THE COMPANY DOES NOT WARRANT THE ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS OF THE INFORMATION OR CONTENT PROVIDED BY THE WEBSITE OR THE SERVICE, OR THAT ANY ERRORS IN THE INFORMATION OR CONTENT WILL BE CORRECTED. THE WEBSITE, THE SERVICE AND THE INFORMATION OR CONTENT ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS.
5. Limitation of liability
YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL THE COMPANY BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, (I) ANY DIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY OR INDIRECT DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF BUSINESS PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF DATA, PROGRAMS OR INFORMATION, AND THE LIKE) ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE WEBSITE, THE SERVICE, OR THE INFORMATION OR CONTENT PROVIDED THEREIN, (II) ANY CLAIM ATTRIBUTABLE TO ERRORS, OMISSIONS, OR OTHER INACCURACIES IN THE WEBSITE, THE SERVICE AND/OR INFORMATION OR CONTENT CONTAINED THEREIN OR DOWNLOADED THROUGH THE WEBSITE, (III) UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR ALTERATION OF YOUR TRANSMISSIONS OR DATA, (IV) STATEMENTS OR CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY ON THE WEBSITE OR THE SERVICE, OR (V) ANY OTHER MATTER RELATING TO THE WEBSITE OR THE SERVICE, EVEN IF THE COMPANY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
BECAUSE SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IN SUCH STATES, THE COMPANY'S LIABILITY IS LIMITED AND WARRANTIES ARE EXCLUDED TO THE GREATEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
7. User conduct
8. General provisions
b. Correction of errors and inaccuracies The information in the website may contain typographical errors or other errors or inaccuracies and may not be complete or current. We therefore reserve the right to correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions and to change or update information at any time without prior notice. We do not, however, guarantee that any errors, inaccuracies or omissions will be corrected.
c. No endorsements of links Hypertext links to third-party websites or information do not constitute or imply an endorsement, sponsorship, or recommendation by the Company of the third party, the third-party website, or the information contained therein. You acknowledge and agree that the Company is not responsible for the availability of any such websites and that the Company does not endorse or warrant, and is not responsible or liable for any such website or the content therein. Any links to other sites are provided for convenience only. You need to make your own decisions regarding your interactions or communications with any other website.
- Sending us an email request Contact Us
- Sending a letter via the U.S. mail to:
5701 Golden Hills Drive
Minneapolis, MN 55416-1297
Last revised: September 19, 2017
At Allianz Life of NY, we maintain important disaster recovery and business continuity plans that may be used in the event of a significant business disruption. We realize the critical nature of being able to continue material operations if an incident occurs that could affect important business units and systems. These plans are key components in maintaining emergency procedures, and are required by securities industry regulations.
Our business continuity plans provide for continuity of critical operations and other activities during a variety of disruptions. They include conducting operations from alternate sites in different locations, if necessary.
To maintain effective and secure plans, we keep them confidential and so do not provide specific details in this notice. In addition, we are committed to maintaining effective communications with you during a business disruption. Our business continuity plans are reviewed to ensure appropriate enhancements are implemented as technology improves, business plans evolve, or regulatory requirements change.
HIPAA Privacy Notice
This notice describes how medical information about you may be used and disclosed and how you can get access to this information. Please review it carefully.
Allianz Life Insurance Company of New York (Allianz Life® of NY) is committed to maintaining the confidentiality of your private medical information. This notice is provided to you in accordance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 and accompanying regulations (the “Privacy Rule”). It describes the legal obligations for a closed line of insurance products underwritten by Allianz Life® of NY and administered by a third party. (The closed line of products are referred to collectively in this notice as “we,” “our,” “us” or the “Covered Entity”.) The Privacy Rule requires that we use and disclose your health information only as described in this notice. This notice only applies to health-related information received by or on behalf of the Covered Entity benefit programs listed below.
This notice applies to individuals who participate in any of the following benefit programs under the closed line of business:
- Long term care
- Hospital income
- Major medical conversions
The Covered Entity’s actions and obligations are undertaken by Allianz Life® of NY employees as well as the third parties who perform services for the Covered Entity. However, Allianz Life® of NY employees perform only limited Covered Entity functions – most Covered Entity administrative functions are performed by third-party service providers.
Federal law requires us to have a special policy for safeguarding certain medical information called “protected health information.” Protected Health Information (PHI) is health information (including genetic information) received or created in the course of administering the Covered Entity, that can be used to identify you and that relates to:
- your physical or mental health condition,
- the provision of health care to you, or
- payment for your health care.
Your medical and dental records, your claims for medical and dental benefits, and the explanation of benefits (EOB) sent in connection with payment of your claims are all examples of PHI.
If Allianz Life® of NY obtains your health information in another way, then Allianz Life® of NY will safeguard that information in accordance with other applicable laws, but such information is not considered PHI subject to this notice. Similarly, health information obtained by a non-health-related benefits program is not protected under this notice. This notice does not apply in those situations because the health information is not received or created in connection with the Covered Entity.
The remainder of this notice generally describes our rules with respect to your PHI received or created by the Covered Entity.
When it comes to your PHI, you have certain rights. This section explains your rights and some of our responsibilities to help you.
Get a copy of health and claims records
- You can ask to see or obtain a copy of your health and claims records and other PHI we have about you. Ask us how to do this.
- We will provide a copy or a summary of your health and claims records, usually within 30 days of your request. We may charge a reasonable, cost-based fee.
Ask us to correct health and claims records
- You can ask us to correct your health and claims records if you think they are incorrect or incomplete. Ask us how to do this.
- We may say “no” to your request, but we’ll tell you why in writing within 60 days.
Request confidential communications
- You can ask us to contact you in a specific way (for example, home or office phone) or to send mail to a different address.
- We will consider all reasonable requests, and must say “yes” if you tell us you would be in danger if we do not.
Ask us to limit what we use or share
- You can ask us not to use or share certain PHI for treatment, payment, or our operations.
- We are not required to agree to your request, and we may say “no” if it would affect your care.
Get a list of those with whom we have shared PHI
- You can ask for a list of the times we’ve shared your PHI for six years prior to the date you ask, who we shared it with, and why.
- We will include all the disclosures except for those about treatment, payment, and health care operations, and certain other disclosures (such as any you asked us to make). We’ll provide one report of this information each year for free but will charge a reasonable, cost-based fee if you ask for another one within 12 months.
Get a copy of this privacy notice
You can ask for a paper copy of this notice at any time, even if you have agreed to receive the notice electronically. We will provide you with a paper copy promptly.
Choose someone to act for you
- If you have given someone medical or general power of attorney or if someone is your legal guardian, that person can exercise your rights and make choices about your PHI.
- We will make sure the person has this authority and can act for you before we take any action.
File a complaint if you feel your rights are violated
- You can complain if you feel we have violated your rights by contacting us using the information on page 1.
- You can file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office for Civil Rights by sending a letter to 200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20201, calling 1-877-696-6775, or visiting www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/complaints/.
- We will not retaliate against you for filing a complaint.
For certain PHI, you can tell us your choices about what we share. If you have a clear preference for how we share your PHI in the situations described below, talk to us. Tell us what you want us to do, and we will follow your instructions.
In these cases, you have both the right and choice to tell us to:
- Share PHI with your family, close friends, or others involved in payment for your care.
- Share PHI in a disaster relief situation.
If you are not able to tell us your preference, for example if you are unconscious, we may go ahead and share your PHI if we believe it is in your best interest. We may also share your PHI when needed to lessen a serious and imminent threat to health or safety.
In these cases we never share your PHI unless you give us written permission:
- Marketing purposes
- Sale of your PHI
Our Uses and Disclosures
We typically use or share your PHI in the following ways.
Help manage the health care treatment you receive
We may use your PHI and share it with professionals who are treating you.
Example: We might disclose PHI about your prior prescriptions to a pharmacist to determine if prior prescriptions contraindicate a pending prescription.
Operate the Covered Entity
- We may use and disclose your PHI for Covered Entity operations. These uses and disclosures are necessary to run the Covered Entity.
- We may use medical information in connection with conducting quality assessment and improvement activities; enrollment, premium rating, and other activities relating to Covered Entity coverage; submitting claims for stop-loss (or excess-loss) coverage; conducting or arranging for medical review, legal services, audit services, and fraud & abuse detection programs; business planning and development such as cost management; and business management and general Covered Entity administrative activities.
- In no event will we use or disclose PHI that is genetic information for underwriting purposes. In addition to rating and pricing a group insurance policy, this means the Covered Entity may not use genetic information for setting deductibles or other cost-sharing mechanisms, determining premiums or other contribution amounts, or applying preexisting condition exclusions.
Example: We may disclose your PHI to another health plan or health care provider who has a relationship with you for their operations activities if the disclosure is for quality assessment and improvement activities, to review the qualifications of health care professionals who provide care to you, or for fraud and abuse detection and prevention purposes.
Pay for your health services
We may use and disclose your PHI as we pay for your health services.
Example: We share information about you with your plan to coordinate payment for your dental work.
Administer your plan
We may disclose your PHI to Allianz Life Insurance Company of North America, as the Covered Entity sponsor, for plan administration.
Example: Your company contracts with us to provide a plan, and we provide your company with certain statistics to explain the premiums we charge.
Other ways we may use or share your PHI
We are allowed or required to share your PHI in other ways – usually in ways that contribute to the public good, such as public health and research. We have to meet many conditions in the law before we can share your PHI for these purposes. For more information see:
Help with public health and safety issues
We can share PHI about you for certain situations such as:
- Preventing disease
- Helping with product recalls
- Reporting adverse reactions to medications
- Reporting suspected abuse, neglect, or domestic violence
- Preventing or reducing a serious threat to anyone’s health or safety
We can use or share a “limited data set” of your PHI for certain health research.
Comply with the law
We will share PHI about you if state or federal laws require it, including with the Department of Health and Human Services if it wants to see that we’re complying with federal privacy law.
Respond to organ and tissue donation requests and work with a medical examiner or funeral director
- We can share PHI about you with organ procurement organizations
- We can share PHI with a coroner, medical examiner, or funeral director when an individual dies
Address workers’ compensation, law enforcement, and other government requests
We can use or share PHI about you:
- For workers’ compensation claims
- For law enforcement purposes or with a law enforcement official
- With health oversight agencies for activities authorized by law
- For special government functions such as military, national security, and presidential protective services
Respond to lawsuits and legal actions
We can share PHI about you in response to a court or administrative order, or in response to a subpoena.
Communicate with service providers
We may enter into agreements with entities or individuals to provide services (for example, claims processing services) to the Covered Entity. These service providers, called “business associates,” may create, receive, have access to, use, and/or disclose (including to other business associates) PHI in conjunction with the services they provide to the Covered Entity, provided that we have obtained satisfactory written assurances that the business associates will comply with all applicable Privacy Rules.
- We are required by law to maintain the privacy and security of your PHI.
- We must notify you promptly following discovery of a breach. A breach occurs if unsecured PHI is acquired, used or disclosed in a manner that is impermissible under the Privacy Rules, unless there is a low probability that the PHI has been compromised.
- We must follow the duties and privacy practices described in this notice and give you a copy of it.
- We will not use or share your PHI other than as described here unless you provide written authorization. If you authorize use or sharing, you may change your mind at any time. Let us know in writing if you change your mind.
For more information see: www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/consumers/noticepp.html.
Changes to the Terms of this Notice
We can change the terms of this notice, and the changes will apply to all information we have about you. The new notice will be available upon request, on our website, and we will provide a copy to you.
Compliance with State Privacy Laws
State law may further limit the permissible ways the Covered Entity uses or discloses your PHI. If New York state law imposes stricter restrictions we will comply.
Revised Date: January 1, 2017
Privacy Officer Contact Information:
Allianz Life Insurance Company of New York
Home Office: New York, NY
Attn: Data Privacy Officer
5701 Golden Hills Drive
Minneapolis, MN 55416
Your privacy is a high priority for Allianz Life Insurance Company of New York (Allianz Life® of NY). This Privacy Notice outlines our principles for collecting, using and protecting information that we maintain about you.
Information about you that Allianz Life of NY collects
We collect information about you so that we can process the insurance transactions you request and administer or service your policy. We also collect information to inform you of new products and services and to engage in studies or research relating to our business. We limit the information collected to what is needed for our business purposes. We may collect your information from the following sources.
- From you, either directly or through our financial professionals. This may include information provided on your insurance application or other forms you may complete. The information we collect includes, but is not limited to, your name, Social Security number, address, telephone number and e-mail address.
- From others, through the process of issuing a policy or handling a claim. This may include information from consumer reporting agencies and medical or accident reports.
- From your doctor or during a home visit by a health care professional. This may include your health records gathered with your written consent.
- From your relationship with us. For example, this may include the number of years you have been a customer or the types of products you have purchased.
- From data brokers that collect publicly available information about you. This includes household information, financial transactions, and social media activity.
Information about you that Allianz Life of NY shares
We do not share information about current or former customers with anyone, except as allowed by law. “Allowed by law” means that we may share the information we collect about you as follows.
- With people and entities when we have your consent to share your information.
- With our affiliates and other third parties in order to process your application, or administer or service your policy.
- With consumer reporting agencies to obtain a medical report, credit report, or motor vehicle report. These reports are used to decide eligibility for a policy or to process transactions you request.
- With our financial professionals so that they can service your policy. They may also inform you of other Allianz Life of NY products and services that may be of interest to you.
- With health care providers in order to process your claim.
- As required or otherwise permitted by law. This may include sharing information with state insurance agencies, law enforcement, and other government officials. We may also share your information to respond to subpoenas, court orders and other legal requests.
- With research groups to conduct studies on our business to improve the products and services we offer.
- To inform you of products and services that may be of interest to you. These communications may be made by us, our financial professionals, or through third parties.
- With our affiliates so they can market their products and services to you. State insurance laws do not allow you to restrict this disclosure.
Allianz Life of NY does not sell your information to anyoneWe do not sell your information to anyone for their own marketing purposes. For this reason, we are not required to obtain your “opt-in election,” “opt-out election” or authorization.
Allianz Life of NY policies and practices regarding security of your information
We limit access to your information to those employees, affiliates, and service providers who need it for our business purposes. We protect your information using safeguards that comply with applicable federal and state law. This includes measures that are administrative, physical, and technical in nature. We use reasonable measures to secure our websites and protect the information that may be shared over these sites.
Your ability to access and correct your information
You have the right to access and obtain a copy of your information. You may write to us and ask for a record of any disclosure of your medical information made within the last three (3) years. This does not include the right to access and copy your information related to a claim or civil or criminal proceeding. If you wish to review your information, please write us at the address above. Provide your full name, address, and policy number(s). For your protection, please have your request notarized.
Within 30 working days of our receipt of your written request, you may see and get a copy of your information in person. If you prefer, we will send you a copy of your information. If medical information is contained in your file, we may request that you name a medical professional to whom we will send your information.
If you believe any of your information is incorrect, you may write to us at the address above. Within 30 working days, we will let you know if our review has resulted in a correction of your information. If we do not agree there is an error, you may file a statement disputing our finding. We will attach the statement to your file. We will send any corrections we make, or your statement, to anyone we shared your information with over the past two years, and to anyone who may receive your information from us in the future. We do not control the information about you obtained from a consumer reporting agency or a Department of Motor Vehicles. We will provide you with the names and addresses of these agencies so you can contact them directly.
Notification of change
Your trust is one of our most important assets. If we revise our privacy practices in the future, we will notify you prior to implementing any changes.
For more information or if you have questions
If you have any questions or concerns about our privacy practices, please call the Corporate Compliance Privacy Office at 800.328.5600, write us at the address above, or contact us via the secured website.