High ratings from independent rating agencies reflect our stability, integrity, and strong balance sheet. We’ve maintained our high ratings in good times – and bad. In fact, we were never downgraded during the last financial crisis.
Recent historical ratings
The A.M. Best rating of A (Excellent) is the third highest of 16 possible ratings, and was affirmed July 2014.
The Moody’s rating of A2 (Good) is the sixth highest of 21 possible ratings, and was affirmed March 2014.
The Standard & Poor’s rating of AA (Very strong) is the third highest of 21 possible ratings, and was affirmed February 2014.
These independent agency ratings are based on an analysis of financial results and an evaluation of management objectives and strategies. The ratings do not pertain to the variable investment options, which fluctuate with market conditions. The ratings do not indicate approval by the analysts and are subject to change.
Standard & Poor’s
- An independent provider of credit ratings for more than 150 years
- Strives to help people make informed investment decisions
- Ratings are based on quantitative and qualitative evaluations of an insurer’s financial security characteristics
- Insurers rated AA have Very Strong financial security characteristics
Learn more at www.standardandpoors.com.
- Founded in 1899
- The largest and oldest independent insurance analyst in the U.S.
- Ratings are based on financial results and qualitative evaluations (management objectives and strategies)
- The company evaluates profitability, leverage, and liquidity, along with assets, reserve adequacy, reinsurance, business strategies, market leadership, parent company support, and management competency
Learn more at www.AMBest.com.
- Rating insurance companies since 1986
- One of two agencies outside the insurance industry most frequently recognized with respect to financial ratings
- Ratings reflect the insurance company’s ability to pay obligations and claims
- Analyses focus on business fundamentals including financial factors, franchise value, management, and organizational structure
Learn more at www.moodys.com.